Re: (PM) Feature Request- specify 3rd DNS server

Pete Templin (templin@urdirect.net)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:59:02 -0600 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Richard Fink wrote:

> We do our own Primary DNS in S.F. and our Secondary is in Denver. Once
> in a while we will want to do maintenance on our DNS machine. At times
> the path over the net through US Worst in Colorado is not so good, and
> our monitor shows the Colorado DNS machine "in the red". In that case,
> if we happened to be doing maintenance on our DNS box, our customers
> would be in the dark. We host our own Tertiary DNS for all the Web
> Hosting we do. We'd like to provide that backup for dial-ups too.

I would put up a second DNS server (relatively brain-dead - doesn't even
need to be a secondary/slave for your local zones) in S.F. and configure
your Portmasters to use it as primary and your webhosting primary/master
as its fallback. That way, you can do as much website DNS maintenance as
you want while still providing the services your customers need.

Your Denver box is of good use to visitors to your hosted sites, and I
would continue to use it as a delegated authoritative host.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNA
Systems and Networks Administrator