Re: (PM) Feature Request- specify 3rd DNS server

Richard Fink (rfink@worldpassage.net)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:32:55 -0800

Hi Pete,

We do our own Primary DNS in S.F. and our Secondary is in Denver. Once in a while we will want to do maintenance on our DNS machine. At times the path over the net through US Worst in Colorado is not so good, and our monitor shows the Colorado DNS machine "in the red". In that case, if we happened to be doing maintenance on our DNS box, our customers would be in the dark. We host our own Tertiary DNS for all the Web Hosting we do. We'd like to provide that backup for dial-ups too.

Maybe its excessive. Its not because we are jamming with activity but because we want cheap easy built in redundancy, and flexibility to work, and not hinder our dial-ups during those times.

-Ric

At 09:30 PM 12/12/1999 -0600, you wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Richard Fink wrote:
>
> > Does any body have the email address handy where you request a feature
> > for ComOS. I know it is probably too late in the day, but I'd like to
> > request support for specifying a 3rd DNS.
>
>Out of curiosity, why would you want this? Hopefully, one PM3's worth of
>dialups isn't mobbing two of your DNS servers that bad, and if you had
>several PM3s, you could round-robin the assignments:
>
>PM3A dns1 dns2
>PM3B dns3 dns1
>PM3C dns2 dns3
>
>Maybe it's time to split off your DNS services onto a separate box. One
>of the ISPs I built uses two servers as authoritative for the domains
>hosted there, and two other servers as client request handlers; none of
>them ever gets bogged down, and nobody ever said that those two roles had
>to be handled by the same boxes.
>
>Pete
>
>--
>Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNA
>Systems and Networks Administrator
>
>On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
>A division of Global On-Line Computers
>2414 Babcock Rd. Suite 106 templin@urdirect.net
>San Antonio, TX 78229 (210)692-9911

Richard Fink Tel: 415 381-0215
WorldPassage Fax: 415 381-0822
P.O.Box 2339 rfink@worldpassage.net
Mill Valley, CA 94942 http://www.worldpassage.net
WorldPassage is a communications service and Internet Service
Provider owned and operated by RainTree Computer Systems, Inc.