(PM) Re: (ANNC) ComOS 3.9b26 available for open beta

Mike Tancsa (mike@sentex.net)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:59:13 GMT

On 9 Dec 1999 17:22:32 -0500, in sentex.lists.livingston you wrote:

>So your saying that USR Windmodems, HCF Modems, HSP Modems work fine
>with your PM3's??? I find that amazing... Those modems barely work, if
>at all with our PM3's. Lucent has even acknowledged that they have a
>problem with the HCF modems. All the above modems seem to work well
>with Ascend and USR RAS equipment.

We have found that most modems, once they are upgraded to the latest
firmware work fairly well. I myself use a Supra HCF modem, and I stay
connected for several days on end. I have a few customers who also use USR
Win modems and the odd HSP modems. Again, if they are using the latest
drivers, *and* they rate limit the modem, they are not bad. The problem is
that a) you have to get them to use the latest drivers b) you have to in
many cases rate limit them. With other servers, it sounds like they are
much more forgiving about code revisions, and renegotiations.

We are currently evaluating a AS5300. So far, we havent seen any
_dramatic_ overall differences. We will have a better sense in a week to
see how it performs modem wise as compared to the PM3s. One big
improvement that we have seen is that it seems to be superior to the PM3 in
making the initial connection. The place where it really wins however, is
in all the reporting and debugging features. There is WAY more there then
on the PM3 which seems very limited by comparison.

---Mike
Mike Tancsa (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)