Re: (PM) Outlook Express

Willy (willy@vbc.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:46:02 -0000

>On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Craig Baird wrote:
>
>(re) Obviously, that doesn't explain why it only happens to your
user during
>(re) peak times. I don't use OE, so I'm not very familiar with all
its
>(re) settings. Is there some sort of timeout setting in OE--maybe
during
>(re) peak times your mail server is not responding quickly enough,
so OE is
>(re) giving up???? Just a guess from an OE outsider... Have you
checked
>(re) your mail logs to see if he is reaching the mail server at all
during
>(re) those times?
>
>We've also had some problems with Outlook Express, same situation.
I've
>found that there is a setting in Outlook Express which will allow it
>either try and dial it's own DUN connection, use a LAN, or use
Internet
>Explorer or third party dialer. In almost every case when I have
>instructed the customer to change to "Use Internet Explorer or third
party
>dialer" it has solved the problem and have never had them call back
since.
>I'm guessing it was/is a Winblows bug causing it.

We have also had problems with Outlook Express. It is more of a
sporadic problem with no real solution.

Sometimes when one of our LAN users begin using OE they find that they
keep getting the same incoming message repeated over and over again.
This problem is compounded by the fact that other susequent incoming
messages begin to do the same thing. It doesn't matter that the
messages are deleted time and time again because they just reappear
the next time incoming messages are retrieved.

Nothing can really be done except increase the time between reading
incoming messages, which poses a problem since the user does receive
urgent e-mails from time to time.

We checked her mail server, OE setup and compared it to what the whole
office should have. There is nothing wrong with any of these and none
of our LAN users experience the problem.

Any ideas on how to stop the onslaught of repeat messages?

-----
Willy Calderon VBCnet GB Ltd http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316 fax+44 117 927
2015