Re: (PM) Session time out warning

MikeK@NetDotCom ("MikeK@NetDotCom")
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:57:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0172_01BE4F8D.D7396B00

That is the correct setting.

Example: Your NAS is set for 20 minute idle time out. It just =
disconnects the user without warning. If the users system is set to =
15-18 minutes idle timeout, Windows will pop up a message to the user =
informing them their idle giving them time to do something. The key =
point is educate the user. If they're not using the service (i.e.. =
reading mail or went to lunch) then disconnect. Assuming you don't have =
problems with busy signals.

There is another setting in: Control Panel, Internet, Connection, =
Settings. I don't know if one will override the other. I would =
guesstimate that the modem setting would take precedence as its closer =
to the hardware.

Mike K
-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Rallapalli <sysop@kepnet.com>
To: MikeK@NetDotCom <mikek@netdotcom.com>
Cc: portmaster-users@livingston.com =
<portmaster-users@livingston.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 03, 1999 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: (PM) Session time out warning
=20
Where is the setting in Win9x? I only know of idle time setting in =
the modems section of the control panel. I can't see how I can use it =
for setting session time.=20
Thanks in advance=20

Kris Rallapalli=20
sysop@kepnet.com=20
=20

MikeK@NetDotCom wrote:=20

No, but... If the customer is using Win9x have them set the =
timeout in Win9x to a few minutes less than your idle timeout. Win9x =
will then give them a warning. Mike K=20
-----Original Message-----=20