Re: (PM) ITU v.90 info

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:25:05 -0400

Scott Sears writes:
> A situation arose today when a customer insisted that the ITU standard is
> official, and that the delay in ratifying the standard is only a
> formality. He sited this page:
>
> http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press/releases/1998/98-04.html

What you want is right on that page; I've had a link to it on our site
for out users since February.

Quoting from that URL

The Study Group has agreed to apply the approval procedure under which
the draft text is circulated to all ITU-T members to determine whether
the Study Group is to be assigned the authority to give it final
approval ("decision") at its next meeting. After unanimous approval by
the Study Group, the standard takes effect. For the V.90 draft
standard, the "decision" step is scheduled for September 1998.

Note also the word "unanimous". If a member balks, no standard.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)