re: Forcing traffic to port 80 to go to squid server

Neal Rigney (neal@pernet.net)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:55:08 +0000 (GMT)

With the packet filter system on FreeBSD, you can set a filter that will
redirect all matching packets to a "redirect socket". So, for example, you
can tell it:
ipfw add divert 8000 ip from any to any port 80

Then run a "web server" on port 8000. It'll get all traffic for port 80
of any other machine.

Bear in mind we don't actually do this, but that's my understanding of how
it works. We installed a BSD box to do routing for our internal network
as well as firewalling, and it does great!

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Jacob H. Suter wrote:

> >Once upon a time Evan Champion shaped the electrons to say...
> >>I want to force all traffic going from users on my PM3 to port 80 on the
> >>net to be redirected to my squid cache server.
>
> >You can block access to the net on port 80 and only permit access to port
> >80 on your cache.
>
> I hear if you set up a FreeBSD or Linux system as a router between your
> network and your PM (say, setting up a second network), you can set up
> packet redirection to do this job. The browser has to be HTTP 1.1
> compatable (or some such - I wasn't paying a lot of attention). Now the
> best part about this is that you can turn off the redirection and it won't
> REQUIRE your squid system to be live all the time.. You can redirect
> internally on the router machine, or redirect the requests to another
> machine...
>
> A P166 w/ SCSI and PCI ethernet should be able to handle the traffic
> without crapping out I would think..
>
> If you have any questions come by #FreeBSD on efnet and ask around a
> while... someone will know (we were talking about this same thing
> yesterday evening)...
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jacob Suter

- --
Neal Rigney, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal@mail.pernet.net
"I've seen better bandwidth between two gorillas with flash cards!"