Re: Multilink PPP & RFC 1717

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:07:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, David Matthews wrote:

> ---- To say that the PM3 complies to RFC 1717, but only for ISDN is to
> say that it's NOT RFC 1717 compliant at all!!! It is more correct to
> say that it complies with the portion of RFC 1717 dealing with
> synchronous ports.

I haven't read the RFC but from what you have said - ok I agree they
should say it is RFC 1717 compilant for ISDN connections.

> Side note to anyone getting ready to buy a PM3: another interesting
> misrepresention we encountered (with Livingston sales people and techs
> and the online PM3 faq) is the claim that the PM3 supports 33.6's. To
> date, it doesn't. We've been told more than once that it did by
> Livingston. Upon complaining to Livingston about this, we were told,
> "33.6's can connect to it, but just not at 33.6 speeds." Between the
> two boners explained above and this whole 56k modem card issue,
> Livingston's integrity has really gone down the tubes in my book.

What!? The PM3 has supported 33.6k for a *long* time.. as of ComOS 3.5c2.
The only fallback is that the max it gets at this time is 33.6k sending
and 31.2k receiving. This should be fixed with the Lucent cards next week
anyway.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.