Re: Why not to buy one of these

Tom Samplonius (tom@sdf.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:34:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Joe Brewer wrote:

> Has anyone worked with a Hayes 9400 access server? I never heard of
> them before my boss told me to eval one. 2PRIs, 48 modems (K56flex),
> and a $12k price tag. Sounds like a good deal, but Hayes isn't known
> for it's access servers and this *is* a new product.

Are you sure the $12K is for the 48 modem, 2PRI configuration? Does
that include ethernet too? Everything is modular, so you need to be
careful on what you are getting.

A good point about this unit, is that everything is modular, even the
ethernet, and T1 or PRI ports. I think Livingston screwed up putting the
ethernet and T1 ports on the motherboard.

An odd thing about the Hayes Century 9400 is that you need to buy
different hardware for PRI, and CT1. On the PM3, this is just a software
change.

No mention of RIPv2 or OSPF, so no way of proprogating subnet or
supernet routes. Big problem.

No mention of multi-chassis PPP, so no way of using multiple 9400s in a
hunt group for dual B channel calls. Big problem.

Description of accounting seems very vague. Doesn't seem to use RADIUS
accounting, just RADIUS authentication.

Tom