Re: Slot overkill in PM3

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:52:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Chris Magnuson wrote:

> Otay, I have a question about the PM3. It has 6 slots and can house up
> to 60 modems. Of course, you can only get a max of 48 modems in there
> fully utilized because of the fact that 2 chan. T1 lines gives your 48
> dialins.

But in the rest of the world besides The U.S. and Japan they use E1 lines
which give you 30 time-slots each. This means you could bring two E1's in
and have the full 60 dial-in users. I wish we had E1's instead of T1's
here :(

> So why all that extra capacity? Would you really need to have 12 extra
> modems in the chassis for getting stuck (if that ever happens) or if

No.

> I'm filling our PM3's with 8-modem cards, but thought I'd ask about
> this. What would make you want to use the 10-modem cards? Are there

I use 5x10-modem cards in a PM3 with 2xCT1. This gives me two spare
modems and an extra slot (see below). Also the numbering is normal and
doesn't skip where the 9th and 10th modems *would* be on each card but
aren't since it is an 8-port card. :)

> some planned upgrades happening soon that will make 10-modem cards the
> easy choise to free more slots for other things? If so, what?

When Livingston upgrades our modem cards they will exchange any number of
modems; 6x8-port cards for 4x10+1x8 since they are both 48 modems. The
second instance would give you a spare slot.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.
- Gallup and Grants, New Mexico