Re: Phone Lines

falken@htonline.com
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:47:11 +0000

What they are refering to are the line stats on the modems. Look in
the specifications portion of your modem manual. It lists all of
them there. What they are talking about is phone lines that are too
close or too far away from the central office, can be too hot or too
cold, (to much, or not enough attenuation). In either case, the
ability of the phone line to carry data can be affected. On a normal
voice line, this can result in echo's, snapping, crackling, popping
(like breakfast cereal). All that noise on a data line ends up in
lower throughput. The phone company can put a pad on or take some
pad off (add or subtract attenuation). They can install a filter to
boost the signal strength, or a filter to bring it down. I believe
it works similar to a step up or step down transformer (not sure, but
I think so).

Anyhow, if you have data grade phone lines, the phone company usually
will gaurantee (whatever thats worth), that the line will carry data
at 9600 baud. Anything over that, and you're pretty much on your
own, however, I've found that most data grade phone lines are pretty
good. However, if you are using a centrex service, I've heard of
excess line noise being generated by the centrex PBX. Here again,
less throughput.

All in all, they are basically making sure that your modems can work
with the way they phone lines are "built". If the phone line is
built to spec at 9600 baud (which is the limit of their gaurantee),
but your modem requires a better connection, you are pretty much out
of luck. Some phone companies will help you fix the problem, but you
will end up paying for anything that exceeds the minimum that they
gaurantee.

Regards

Rick S.
System Admin
HomeTown Online

I am using a pm2e with penril modems!!! My phone company contacted me
today and wanted me to give them the specifications that we require
fromthe phones lines to help this resolve this problem. Things like S/N
ratio, attenuations etc. I am not sure what other factors they
requireand what ranges these should be.