Re: CT1 vs. PRI

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 07:22:00 -0700

At 09:29 PM 4/14/97 -0400, Christopher Hicks wrote:
>>From the ISP's perspective what's the practical difference between using
>PRI and CT1? It seems that ultimately CT1 will allow 24 B's and is
>certainly cheaper (and more widely available). I'm aware that the CT1
>code is in beta. But this question is really not Livingston-specific.
>(So why am I posting it here? Because its at least highly
>Livingston-relevant.)

The real question is do require ISDN service? If you do, than PRI is the
best way to go. If you are just trying to support dial-in analog modems,
then CT1 is a good choice. However with that said, the PM3's has a unique
implementation for answering calls over a CT1 which permits the answering
of both analog modems and ISDN (56K) data-over-voice calls. So you can get
limited ISDN service without paying for the premium of PRI. ;-)

--
Marty Likier
Product Marketing Mgr.