Re: Uptimes on Portmasters Re: Multi-Tech CommPlete vs. PM3?

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:51:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Jacob Suter wrote:

> > Please folks, why don't you post your IP addresses and (if applicable)
> > telnet access ports too!!! Hope you're all running a good firewall or
> > those PM's won't stay up much longer :-)
>
> Funny, because any beginner hacker can take a PM out in a few minutes with
> the ICMP kill trick... all thats required is traceroute.

Speaking of firewalls, is there any reason not to packet filter your PM's
off the net? Mine can only be reached from within our LAN and from one
address at livingston...and that's just because I was too lazy to
add/remove that filter exception every time I needed livingston to take a
look at where my ISDN lines had gone.

In fact, all of our terminal servers are packet filtered from the net.
The only ill effect I know of is that traceroutes from the outside world
show the second to the last hop as three *'s.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______