Re: Multi-Tech CommPlete vs. PM3?

Curtis C. Wig (curtwig@concentric.net)
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 01:25:52 -0500

Matthew S. Crocker wrote:

> > No, Livingston nor Ascend have made any promises that the ITU-T 56k upgrade
> > will be free... They have only promised the Lucent/Rockwell versions...
> > Multi-Tech has promised that the Lucent/Rockwell AND the ITU-T 56k will be
> > free...
>
> Umm, I beleive Livingston HAS stated that they will upgrade to the ITU-T
> 56k spec for free. It will require a hardware change, you can register on
> their web site.
>
> -Matt
>
> --
> Matthew S. Crocker - Systems Administration matthew@crocker.com
> Crocker Communications Phone: (413) 587-3350
> PO BOX 710 Fax: (413) 587-3352
> Greenfield, MA 01302-0710 http://www.crocker.com

I have in front of me a "press release" style announcement from
Livingston dated 2/27/97.

According to this release:
"Livingston's integrated central-site modem solution will be based on a
software-upgradeable digital signal processor (DSP)from Lucent
Technologies and will support the K56flex standard jointly established
by Lucent and Rockwell Semiconductor Systems. This guarantees Livingston
customers compatability with modem vendors representing more than 70%
of the worldwide market."

What troubles me is that I'm looking at getting our first PM-3, which
will be our only box for a while, and I need to know how to handle that
other 30%. Must I have a couple of USR's attached to something else to
satisfy these users? Is this percentage even higher here in the *US*?

I work in a retail computer store and know that USR is *greatly*
outselling all others.

My feeling is that for a smallish ISP to survive, we need to concentrate
on more savvy users and leave the initial support-intensive-phase users
to the big boys. The "high-end" consumers are the ones rushing out to
pick up the USR's, and now it looks like these folks are the ones that
will not be happy with our choice of a PM-3.

I freely admit that I'm a newbie in these matters and there are probably
some serious flaws in my logic. All critiques and suggestions are
welcome!

Just my two bucks(it's expensive around here :-))

Curt Wig
curtwig@concentric.net

"Those who once *wanted* their MTV, now *need* their ISP!"--me