Re: Brand X vs. PM-3 - The real issues...

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:50:08 -0500

On Mon, Apr 07, 1997 at 08:27:53AM -1000, Sherwood Pekelo wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Chris Ward wrote:
>

> > I am curious to know how many of you are running *both the USR TC's and the
> > PM-3's? If so, I'm curious to exchange notes with you regarding your
> > customer's connect speeds. We have a bunch of USR's and a bunch of PM-3's.
> > I like both units - sans USR's blast-furnace properties. But what we are
> > finding is that the USR's connect speeds are consistently higher for the
> > vast majority of our customers.
> >
> > Isn't this what really counts?
>
> I've found that connect speeds means diddly... It's nice to see "connected
> 33600" etc... but what is the actual throughput and does this stay the
> same for a fully loaded box? I would ask the customers to surf, download,
> irc, etc. and have them give you their impressions...but don't tell them
> which is which, just ask them which number they call... ;) for our users
> into the PM3 most seem to have more solid connects AND say transfers
> appear quicker...I still have to do a latency check, but I think a few ms
> won't mean much to most people...
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Sherwood

The PM3 typically connects one or two "notches" slower and then upshifts.

The other hardware on the market typically connects at or above the
sustainable rate, and often has to downshift.

Do you prefer to take the errors (and performace hits) associated with the
latter behavior, but get the "gee whiz" appeal of reporting a higher connect
speed INITIALLY, or would you prefer to upshift to the proper speed and give
the customer better throughput and no retrain pauses? :-)

Initial speed means nothing. It is FINAL connect speed that matters.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal