Re: Brand X vs. PM-3 - The real issues...

Sherwood Pekelo (spekelo@iav.com)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 08:27:53 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Chris Ward wrote:

> I am curious to know how many of you are running *both the USR TC's and the
> PM-3's? If so, I'm curious to exchange notes with you regarding your
> customer's connect speeds. We have a bunch of USR's and a bunch of PM-3's.
> I like both units - sans USR's blast-furnace properties. But what we are
> finding is that the USR's connect speeds are consistently higher for the
> vast majority of our customers.
>
> Isn't this what really counts?

I've found that connect speeds means diddly... It's nice to see "connected
33600" etc... but what is the actual throughput and does this stay the
same for a fully loaded box? I would ask the customers to surf, download,
irc, etc. and have them give you their impressions...but don't tell them
which is which, just ask them which number they call... ;) for our users
into the PM3 most seem to have more solid connects AND say transfers
appear quicker...I still have to do a latency check, but I think a few ms
won't mean much to most people...

--
Aloha,

Sherwood