Re: DNS file on Linux

Dick Strickland (dicks@kdsi.net)
Mon, 20 Nov 95 18:29:14 CST

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 11:57:04 -0500 you wrote:

>I have a customer just setting up a POP site with PM2er and an IRX. All
>setup looks good, we can get a PPP connection with Netscape, but it will
>just hang there and comes back with a message that "Server does not have DNS
>entry". I am told there are 2 files that have the DNS tables that need to
>be updated with the new configuration. Any Linux gurus out there know the
>names of the files in Linux? Thanks
>SOLUNET,Inc.... "Your Inter-Networking Partner"
>Specializing in:
> Livingston,Adtran,Ascend,U.S. Robotics,Kentrox,
>Compatible Systems,Cray,Telebit,Shiva,Motorola,ZyXel...
>1-800-795-2814,FAX:407-676-0809,EMAIL:helenp@solunet.com

I don't qualify as Linux guru but am learnig.. The files you need to look at should be
in the directory /etc/namedb you'll find files listed named.local named.data
and named.rev these should be the files you need to add the appropriate
entries in. You will also need to increment the serial number in your file by 1
each time you make a change. This tells the secondary dns service you have
changed the tables and it will also update when it polls your server.

Hope this helps

Dick Strickland KDS Internet Services
E-mail dicks@kdsi.net 1004 West Oklahoma Avenue
http://www.kdsi.net Grand Island, NE 68801
Voice (308) 382-5670 FAX (308) 382-2166

Grand Island, Nebraska's Leading Internet Service Provider