Cultural ambiguity

Michael Dillon (michael@memra.com)
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 20:33:54 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995 MAILER-DAEMON@aztec.co.za wrote:

> If he was one of my staff he would have been serverly repremanded, as
> that is not a good representation of ones company.

Quite frankly, I believe that your view is primarily due to cultural
differences between "law and order" South Africa, and free-wheeling
California, U.S.A.

> The fact that no formal appollogy has been made by the technical support
> engineer in question && Livingston, has made my opinions of Livingston
> drop.

In an international marketplace you just have to accept that people (and
companies) in different countries do not march to the same beat.

> No matter how big or small your company is, it's still your clients
> who are boss, and matter!

Not in the USA or Canada. In this continent and especially in the
high-tech industries, we are more concerned with rooting out the facts of
a problem and with real technical accomplishments rather than maintaining
social niceties. That's because social niceties don't keep networks running.

Michael Dillon Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc. Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com E-mail: michael@memra.com