Re: Linux, pppd-2.2 and Portmasters

Brian Rice (bri@whitestone.com)
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 20:31:51 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm looking for some thoughts on what this is all about. I've been trying

Um, Chris, this is the *PortMaster* mailing list, try sending the
PortMaster output!!! :-)

ObExplanation: Chris has been a PortMaster user for a _long_ time.

Now then, in case you've forgotten or you might have not been told ...
telnet to the PortMaster and do
set console
set debug 0x51

and record the output produced during the connection attempt.

Send that to us pm-wizards and perhaps we can figure out what's happening.
Then again, perhaps not. :-)

> compression. I've also tried specifying an asyncmap. Does the Portmaster
> support either CCP or BSD-Compress protocols?

Um, probably neither, unless one of them is VJ-in-disguise.

This says the PortMaster is sending a PAP challenge ...

> Oct 2 14:04:06 blackhole pppd[303]: sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 <pcomp> <auth upap>]

This says you rejected the challenge ... I don't have a PPP chart in front
of me (and no, I don't have it memorized!) so correct me if I'm wrong but
since we're at the LCP layer isn't this the phase where we try to agree on
_which_ auth protocol to use? If so the PortMaster is auto-detecting your
PPP login, sending a request to authenticate with PAP and getting a, "Nah,
take your PAP down the road".

> On the syslog output for the Portmaster I see:
>
> Oct 2 13:37:50 crumm.net.CSUChico.EDU dialnet: port S0 PPP succeeded dest Negotiated ipx 909090FF
> Oct 2 13:37:53 crumm.net.CSUChico.EDU dialnet: port S0 ppp_sync failed dest
>
> Now, I don't even have IPX enabled on the Portmaster. Somebody's just a
> little confused here. ;)

Uh, yeah, that's pretty interesting ... nevermind the global reply to the
list, until we solve this we should go private as I'd like to see the
RADIUS entry for your user which might (obviously) include the password.
Or, more simply, if you can create a dummy user just like this that
reproduces the problem then go ahead and post it up. But I'm still very
interested in having the output from the PortMaster side.

--
Bri