Re: Linux, pppd-2.2 and Portmasters

John Henders (jhenders@vanbc.wimsey.com)
2 Oct 1995 22:57:42 -0700

Chris Trown <ctrown@ecst.csuchico.edu> writes:

> I'm looking for some thoughts on what this is all about. I've been trying
>to get pppd-2.2 for Linux (1.3.30 kernel) working using PAP for authentication.
>I'm trying to connect to a Portmaster 2e/30 running ComOS 3.1.4. I want to get
>this working without using the "+ua" switch to pppd which, according to the man
>page, is obsolescent. It also bugs me that I can't get this working. :)

I've tried off and on to get the older PPP for linux to work with Pap as
documented, and never had any luck, unless I force it to read the
pap-secrets file. Every time I tried without +ua, the debug output
indicated that the pppd wasn't even looking in the secrets file for a
username and password. When I tried CHAP, debug showed the portmaster
rejecting the request for CHAP.

--
               John Henders  BOFH  Wimsey Information Systems.
               Vancouver's original internet service provider.