Re: (PM) SUMMARY - looking for opinions - PM3 and AS5300 (fwd)

Jeff Carneal (jeff@apex.net)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:37:54 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 ruben@vuurwerk.nl wrote:

> Do others have the feeling there's a relation between quality of
> telephone-line and HCF problems?

Yes, there is a correlation. We bought two of the shittiest Rockwell
modems we could find thinking that we could prove our "some modems won't
connect to the pm3" claim. We brought them back to the office all excited
like, debugs on and raging, only to find them both connect at mid 40's
without renegociations and/or retrains. Honestly, we were hurt.

However, you take one of those same modems out in the sticks (where a
number of our customers are) and try to connect, and you can forget it.
All the firmware and init strings in the world won't save you. In the
cases where a customer that cannot connect has gotten a different (read:
better) modem, they connect just fine from the same location.

The point is this...the crappy modem isn't always your problem. The
crappy line quality isn't always the problem. But you put a crappy modem
together with a crappy line, and it *will not* connect to the PM3 no
matter how many gods you pray to.

--
  Jeff Carneal - Sys Admin - Apex Internet
  jeff@apex.net http://www.apex.net (502) 442-5363

The opinions expressed above aren't really mine. They belong to someone else who also refuses to take responsibility for them.