RE: (PM) RE: Stuck PM3 ports

Erik P. Power (erik@sitespecific.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:31:57 -0800

I was finally found the cause of the problem. If you manually hang up the B
channels on either an Ascend P50 or a Netgear RT328, the ISDN router does
NOT send an LCP_TERMINATE_REQUEST to our NAS. Instead, these routers just
negotiate the disconnect with the switch, and ignore our PM3 entirely. Thus,
our PM3 thinks the connection is still live and keeps the ports open.
Extremely poor etiquette, if you ask me. How hard is it to say "I'm leaving"
before disconnecting? The solution: never manually hang up the ISDN router.
Let the internal idle timeout of the Netgear or the filter (uck) of the P50
tear down the connection. Can somebody please explain to me why it is that
these routers wouldn't send an LCP_TERMINATE_REQUEST on a manual hangup? If
there's a good reason for it, I sure can't see it.