Re: (PM) looking for opinions - PM3 (fwd)

Brian Elfert (brian@citilink.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:15:28 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Tim Tsai wrote:

> What are the major providers using, BTW? I know AOL is all USR and
> there are also a lot of Max TNT's out there. Are any of the top 10
> providers using Lucent?

AOL is not all USR/3Com. They supported both K56Flex and x2 before V.90
was out. They now outsource all dialup access, and at least one of the
outsourcers was using Ascend when AOL signed with them.

Ascend and USR are big players only because nobody else sold Digital NASes
at the time when PSI, ANS, and UUNet needed them. Livingston didn't have
a digital NAS when these companies were evaluating NASes. These three
companies have so many NASes that they simply couldn't afford to switch
vendors now.

Brian