Re: (PM) looking for opinions - PM3

Ed Schulz (edschulz@lucent.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:01:06 -0500

> From: Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:21:40 -0600
>
> For me, what I'd really like is better feedback on what Lucent is doing
> about the modem/line padding issue.

The analog client modem is responsible for telling the digital server modem
what to send downstream for digital impairment learning (DIL). The client
calculates the constellation (set of levels) to use and tells the server
what to do. Downstream, the client is master; the server just does what
it's told. There had been a PM3 issue with a DIL timeout that affected
some analog modems, but that's been fixed. Lucent RABU will need to
address the exact version number for this fix; I'm not sure whether it's
worked its way through to the field.

> From: Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:27:46 -0600
>
> Note that I am not even saying "Lucent, fix this NOW!". It's more like
> "Lucent, just exactly what are you doing about this? Where are your
> priorities with respect to the PM3 and modem code? Is the same team
> working on the LT PCI winmodem code working on the PM3 modem code (Ed?)?"

Same team, different sub-team. We share as much as we can. Note also that
the Windows modem controller has the luxury of running on a Pentium (or
equivalent) using PC memory. The constraints on the PM3 modem controller
are different. The analog and digital modems have different functions, so
advances on one end are not always directly transferable to the other.

I'm not trying to make excuses. Tim asked for feedback, so I'm giving some
-- at least from the Lucent Microelectronics point of view.

--
Ed Schulz
edschulz@lucent.com