Re: (PM) looking for opinions - PM3

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:11:39 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Roy wrote:

> "The grass is greener on the other side"???
>
> Given that Lucent bought Ascend you might want to definitely check out
> Cisco.
>
> I am getting fed up with Lucent/Livingston myself. Gave up on Ascend a
> long time ago. The PM-2 was a good box, the PM-3 is so so. Quality of
> support is declining and new software release are very slow.

The "grass is greaner..." is usually used when people think some other
choice is better, but isn't. All access servers have problems. Just pick
your problems.

Don't go to Cisco if you want a fast release schedule. Cisco's V.90
took longer than every other vendor. Plus you need to pay for software
upgrades. Plus, if you don't pay for support, you don't really get any.
I try to make it habit of buying equipment where I dependant on tech
support. I haven't called Lucent RABU support in a long time.

Don't expect Cisco's RADIUS to support all RADIUS attributes. The last
I checked, "Session-Timeout" and "Idle-Timeout" attributes are not
supported.

Tom