(PM) Re: LT Modem installation

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:26:59 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Ed Schulz wrote:

> This makes me cry! These modems are so easy to install if you know what
> you're doing (like anything else, I suppose), but you're sure to screw
> things up if you try random wrong things!

Ed, I _DO!_ know what I'm doing! Let's put it this way if it's sooo
fricken easy, then why couldn't the computer store that installed make
sure it worked? Or why, when I _properly_ uninstalled and reinstalled, the
manufacturer's software, it still failed to work.

8) give me some credit, if you've seen me on this list, I _will_ admit I'm
a lamer, but I do possess a modicum of knowledge concerning setting up /
installing modems.

> > From: "I don't work for Lucent RABU" <livingston@iav.com>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:27:47 -1000 (HST)
> > Subject: (PM) LT Modem installation
>
> > computer store sells a computer with LT modem
> > LT modem software is installed
> > Com1 and Com2 are on the Motherboard normal assignments
> > LT modem is on Com3 IRQ10
> > Hey, I noticed that ltport is _not_ loaded.
>
> First mistake. In Win98 ltport should NOT be loaded.

8P~ Why not? This was the ONLY way I could get it in. The only logic I
can see is that the modem was assigned IRQ10 or probably just grabs it,
irregardless of the MotherBoard setting. By my setting of the ltport to
the IRQ10 I was able to force the modem to IRQ11 which then made it
usable.

> > Symptoms:
> >
> > any attempt to communicate with modem in windows gives Open Port: Port
> > already open. there is no driver loaded for the comm port. installing,
> > reinstalling, registry edits, mystical incantations all fail to resolve
> > the situation.
>
> Was the modem working when the PC was first used from the store? If so,
> then someone did something to break the installation. If not, then it
> should be returned to the store.

Yeah, right... Stores install the software given to them, then ship it
out... testing? BWAHAHAHAHAHAA. Granted not all stores are like that, but
too often they'll _ass_ume that since it installed it must work.

> > Solution:
> >
> > FINE! I've tried nearly every trick known to get this bastard working.
>
> Time to learn some more, I guess. Please don't call our modem names!

LOL, If it doesn't install smoothly, FOLLOWING instructions, then it's a
bastard or a bitch. At least I'm not using more profane words ;)

> > Loaded firmware 5.39, 5.32, WinMod v90 (forgot to mention this is win98
> > and a Jaton winMOD). Now I get a flash, or was that some girl passing by?
> > hmm, anyhow, I start thinking that the modem soft is there, the port
> > /virtual comm driver is there, but they aren't communicating. Then I
> > think about the IRQs and how those can NOT be changed in Win98. *zing* At
> > the moment I had the winMOD installed, so I went to the directory that
> > contained the .inf / .vxd / etc from the installation. then I edited
> > the ltport.inf to change the comm settings originally 2F8-2FF (com2) and
> > IRQ 3 to 3E8-3EF and IRQ 10 to match what the modem thought it was set to.
>
> ltport.inf has absolutely no effect in Win98. That file is there only for
> NT4.

I think you better check on this. It may be true that it's for NT 4.0
only, since my solution works *shrug* there _is_ something wrong
somewhere.

> > Installed the port again, add/remove hardware and have disk and all that
> > fun stuff and selected the lt port. Once that was set, *BAM* as Emeril
> > will say, modem starts to respond.
>
> In other words, you did a normal inf-driven installation and the modem
> worked. What is so remarkable about that?

No I did NOT do a normal inf install, I editted the ltport.inf as I noted.

> > Installation of LT_modem.
> >
> > get latest known working drivers. current 5.39 (11 Feb 1999 is todays
> > date) run that file, but do NOT allow setup to run.
>
> Why not? We worked hard on that setup program, and for a very good
> reason! It automatically deletes any crap that was left around from
> previous misguided installation experiments, copies the right files to the
> right places, causes the modem to be detected and enumerated again, and
> lets the Windows class installer install the modem properly. The only way
> this will fail is if hardware is broken, files are missing, or there are
> simply no resources available for the modem.

BZZZT! hardware is not broken or do you consider the fact that it's
assigned IRQ 10 even if com1/2 are available a feature? No files are
missing, I again went through 3! different sets as I listed, and the 5.32
is a known working copy since I've used it on other customer's modems. No
resources?!?! I disabled and removed comm ports, I triple-checked IRQ
availability. /me steps back... Okay, I'm being waaay too defensive.

> If your Lucent Windows modem is working fine and you want to try a
> different driver without changing the modem inf file, then and only then
> may you skip the setup program. Simply copy ltmodem.vxd to
> \windows\system. (Or for NT4 replace ltmodem.sys.) Richard G, it might
> help people if you'd update your advice page with this information.

/me nods yep I agree to that.

> > Most likely it'll unzip to /windows/temp or whatever your temp directory
> > is set.
> >
> > Go to this directory and edit the ltport.inf... It helps is the modem
> > software/firmware is already installed and you know what comm port and IRQ
> > it's trying to use. With this information edit the ltport.inf to reflect
> > these settings.
>
> NO, NO, NO! Again, this is only there for NT4.
>
> > Using Add/Remove Hardware manually install the lt port.
>
> NO! This is never necessary.
>
> Sorry for getting so excited, but wouldn't you? You didn't even try
> running setup. I don't know why the modem wasn't working originally, but
> removing and reinstalling it fixed the problem.

Pardon me? I _DID_ try the setup, on _ALL_ 3 versions: winMOD v90, Lucent
5.32, and 5.39 ... Read through what the situation was. Modem was
installing itself to Com3/IRQ10 and would NOT respond. I guess what I did
was take away IRQ10 so that the modem was forced to the next available
IRQ, which was IRQ11. Anyhow, If you do find a way to fix this in a
'proper' manner please do let me know. Until then, I stand by my work
around as a possible solution.

8)

--
Aloha from Paradise,