(PM) Re: Exchange Server Problem

Thomas Kinnen (tkinnen@livingston.com)
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 11:34:33 -0800

R Sigler - ZiggyCom Tech Support wrote:

[I'm sending this back to the list as some others may be interested in
seeing how this works]

> >You need a location in the PM for a route to be added that will cause
> the PM to dial out when traffic is destinaed for the client.
>
> * I am sorry, I do not follow you here. Is there something I need to add to
> the statements in my radius file for their account?

No, If they are not dialed in and you want incoming traffic for them to
get to them you need to dial them. In order to do that you need a
location entry in your PortMaster so a route to their IP is advertised
even when they are not dialed in.

With out a dial out location here is what {should|may} happen:

Say they are blamo.com and you are fobar.com. Your mail server is
me.fobar.com and theirs is them.blamo.com. You need to have your mail
server queue up their mail if they are not connected with MX entries
like:

blamo.com MX 10 them.blamo.com
blamo.com MX 20 me.fobar.com

This states they the best server to connect to is them.blamo.com but if
you can't reach them.blamo.com connect to me.fobar.com. When a message
is sent to blamo.com the originating mail server first tries
them.blamo.com and if they are dialed in the message goes to their
server. Now if they are not connected the attempt to them.blamo.com
fails and their mail goes to me.fobar.com as it is the next highest MX
record for the domain and the message will be placed in me.fobar.com's
mail queue. This host needs to be setup to allow mail relay to them or
it will bounce the messages. Now they will need to have their
connection in exchange (Don't have the exact screen because I have
removed exchange server from my test system at this time) set to to
poll at certain intervals and issue an ETRN command to your mail
server. ETRN tells the server to send any queued mail for a domain (the
newer versions of Exchange and Sendmail support ETRN, Post.Office uses
QSND at last check). Since they are connected you server will now be
able t0 send the mail to them.blamo.com as they are connected and your
server sees that it has a higher priority MX record.

Now the other option is to place a location entry in the PortMasters
Location table. Now when they are not connected the PortMaster will
keep a route advertised for the IP address(es) of their
{Server|Network}. When a packet (SMTP, WWW, What ever) comes in it will
be sent to the PM. The PM will then see that it needs to dial out to
the network to complete the routing of the packet. The PM will dial out
to their {Server|Router} and once the connection is up the packet will
get to the destination. If the connection is not quick enough it may
time out and go to your server anyway but then when your server tries to
deliver it in it's normal queue processing the connection will attempt
again. In this case you need an ID and password on their system and it
needs to be able to accept a connection from the PortMaster. ALso not
that if you have multiple PMs they will need to be dialing into the one
with the location as otherwise you may get routing conflicts depending
on what routing protocols you use.

If you don't have copies get the Sendmail and the DNS and Bind Books
from O'reilly & Associates. The ETRN stuff for exchange is covered in
the Microsoft SBS ISP documentation and the Exchange documentation. The
PortMaster Configuration guide covers location entries.

----
Thomas C Kinnen - <tkinnen@livingston.com> <tkinnen@ra.lucent.com>
"All of the opinions stated above are my own and not my employer's,
unless they were given to me by my employer"