Re: (PM) No answers!

Steve Coleman (stevec@mtinter.net)
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:34:16 -0500

Shawn Ring wrote:

> I have PM3s using channelized T1s. I am experiencing, to often to ignore,
> problems where a customer will dial in and get no answer. It ill just
> remain silent, not even a ring. I have plenty of lines ready to except the
> calls. I see them close to fill up every night. But this problem happens
> anytime during the day and I have PM3s available. Could this be a telco
> issue, or are the PM3s just not answering?
>
> I am also finding 2 portmasters with a bad modem. I have put in "set m32
> off" to busy the bad ones out (neither of them are m32, I am just using
> this one as an example), will that cause the issue in the first paragraph?
>
> Thank you ahead of time for your help!!

Hi Shawn,
Same equip, same problems. It's been consistant through 3 ComOS's. It
has to be a modem/telco thing. I get the same thing from home now and then, it takes
me a couple of tries to get the handshake.

Don't forget, with the channelized T1's, each T1 has one modem/line that is used by
the telco (at least thats what they tell me). So, with 2 T1's with 48 modems, you will
only have 46 modems availible for callers.

We have a great relationship with the local telco engineers. They can't find anything
on their end, either. We have a wide range of new and old lines. We set up computers
here in the office and they get 52000 connects, take the computer home and get 28800.

One of our techs was getting 52000 consistantly. He moved 5 miles closer to the CO but
now is lucky to get 26000. We have one little hollow that can't even get a dialtone on
a modem though their phones work fine. The modems connect fine when they bring them
in(figure that one out, I'll buy you a present) :).

Last night, I switched my primary PM from 3.8.2 back to 3.8., now people who have
never had a problem, are calling in with "can't establish a network connection" error.

I can't get connections with Rockwell, Xircom, and numerous other modems. I've tried
all the init string tricks that have been posted here on the Rockwell, nothing works.
We have figured out that any modem that has dual drivers, flex/v90, will not connect
to our PM's. They all get the "can't establish a network connection" error.

I don't know what else to do other than give our users the LTWinmodem at cost. This is
the only modem that has no problems. But even with it, it's all according to the phone
lines between the user and the CO, on what kind of connect they get.

Steve