Re: (PM) Loopback on T1 Internet connection

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 14:34:31 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> Someone I know is being charged for a loopback on his Internet feed (a T1
> connection to his PM2eR). People at the ISP in question are unable to
> answer even what the loopback does or is for but there is an exorbitant
> amount of money being tacked onto the monthly bill under the term
> "loopback".
>
> Can anyone tell me what the loopback's purpose would be, if it exists at
> all? This is a full time Internet connection and from what I understand
> of loopbacks, they would only be in use for short periods during testing.
> Am I wrong? Is it right to be charged for the "loopback"?

Loopback is a testing procedure where the data stream received at an
interface is "looped back" to the sender. This obviously takes the
interface out of service, and is used for testing. As a rule, the telco
"Smartjack" or NIU has this capability, as does the customer's CSU.

Different codes can be sent remotely to loop either the NIU or CSU, and
to take the loop down to restore normal service.

I've never seen a charge for this item on a phone bill, however. Perhaps
this individual should state to telco that he never ordered a "loopback"
and shouldn't have to pay for one.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net 805-884-6323 --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.