Re: (PM) SNMP/MRTG Problems with PMs

Chris Conn (cconn@abacom.com)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:49:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Steve Weaver wrote:

> Has anyone else seen this, and more importantly, does anyone have a
> solution?

Actually I once called tech support about this issue since our monitoring
of ORUs was doing the same thing (ptp3 became ptp4 or something similar)
on reboots or carrier drops. They didn't seem too keen on fixing it and
told me that this was correct behaviour. If someone knows how to read
SNMP info to map the values to the S port I would be interested. As you
mention, the interface number for SerialXX in a Cisco is always the same
when you walk the tree. It seems that Livingston equipment will create
interface maps on the fly for no apparent reason.

I have to mention however in Livingston's defense that the fact that the
ptp interfaces are created on the fly allows for a much easier calculation
of traffic on multilink interfaces. The only way I can properly calculate
load on multilink interfaces on a Cisco is to do an addition
(1:community@hostname + 2:community@hostname) in mrtg.cfg. This is a pain
but when you know how to do it there is no more trouble. In a Livingston,
when a multilink interface is created, both S ports in my ORUs or PM2s
will have the same interface. This is a nice feature in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Chris Conn