Re: (PM) Two weeks later, and still no working ComOS

Christian Schmit (schmit_c@vo.lu)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 14:37:48 +0200

Hi,

I have to agree with this statement of Patrick Kormann.

As the modem code is not what it should be ISP's are
forced to try betas. COMOS 3.8b17 was a total
catastrophe for us. We are back to 3.7.2c3.

Stable and ineroperable modem code is a problem since
day 1 of the PM3 especially in Europe. The old modem
cards operated a lot better than the new k56flex cards,
which are now shipping for nearly 1 year if I remember
well.

When will we finally have a good modem code for the PM3?

Another problem is that Livingston also seems to be at least
2 months behind in development compared to their rivals 3COM,
Ascend, Cisco...

The PM3 operates very well for us since we got the first one
but the modem code still isn't what it should be for an ISP.

I hope this will change in near future.

Christian Schmit

At 19:37 22.07.98 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Chris Conn wrote:
>>
>> > Hello to all,
>> >

>> I disagree. I think complaining about it is a good idea. This list is
>> monitored by Livingston employees. In order to use the WAN card which is
>> CURRENTLY being sold, you MUST be using 3.8, which is ONLY in beta. This
>> is a PROBLEM. Forget the v.90 stuff for now...
>>
>> They are FORCED to use a Beta.
>
>That's funny, I don't recall seeing that information in this list in the
>recent posts. I agree that in this case it is a valid point, however the
>vast majority of what we see is whining about V.90 support and crashes
>that don't occur on the 3.7 series of ComOSs. I must have deleted the
>valid information amongst a flurry of childish blame-throwing. I am
>attempting to redeem this list by asking its contributors to post
>informational and constructive comments.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Chris Conn
>

>-
>To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
>'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Patrick Kormann
DataComm (Schweiz) AG
Projektleiter Technik

--
PGP Fingerprint: B52F 7B90 0DDE AADE A388  1E9B 43A6 5555 FC47 04EB