Re: (PM) T1-CT1 signalling

info@sltic.com
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:26:31 -0500

At 10:03 AM 7/23/98 -0500, John Lange wrote:
>HI & B.S.

Yeah, it is, but that's GTE in Illinois :(

>GTE is doing just that all over Wisconsin for me right now. We are adding
>5 new loacations in the next month and I won't have to leave my chair. You
>can get DCS from anywhere GTE serves, but you have to buy a point to point
>T1 to haul it on. It can get pricey, but it works.
>
>JOhn :}

GTE in Illinois charges per minute for calls outside your own town. They
call this EAS (Extended Area Service) or USS (Usage Sensitive Service).
Several years ago GTE proposed this to the Illinois Commerce Commission and
it passed! Wisconsin was smart enough to reject this.They did away with the
$5/month charge for extended local calling and now any call out of your
prefix is metered. This town is 9 miles away and they pay $0.02/min day
and $0.01/min night-weekends to call here. I have *several* customers in
that area with $200+ monthly phone bills. GTE says they can only set up a
call forwarding situation for me but then *I* would be paying the per
minute charges. Aaarrgggh!

BTW, if you deal with GTE in Illinois - there is a complaint with the ICC
about this. The complainants have a website at http://uss.dlogue.net

Bruce
info@sltic.com