Re: (PM) Feature Request (was SECURITY PROBLEM.)

Christopher X. Candreva (chris@westnet.com)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:30:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Eric J. Merkel wrote:

> > Which brings up a question I've asked a few times in other places: Would
> > anyone else like to see more descriptive logging information, say via syslog

> Usually radius does this too. We get connect messages in our
> /var/log/authlog and /var/log/messages regarding logins/outs and other
> status messages on our PM3's. Is this what you are looking for?

It logs the disconnect, but not why. It would be nice if the reason could be
logged.

For example,we've just had a devil of a time getting this Bay Networks
router to connect. It would never get to the authentication part it would
just die. Turned out Bay had a MTU (or some such) value it wanted to use,
and wouldn't accept what the PM3 was trying to assign it, and the connection
would drop.

All the PM3 would log is "Connection terminated". If it logged "Connection
terminated: Unable to assign MTU" we would have had the answer quickly.

Having to telnet into the PM3, and start debug, and dump hex values of the
PPP session, when you don't know what port (or even what PM3 chasis!) the
connection will come in to is a pain in the rear.