Re: (PM) Modem not answering

Thomas C Kinnen (tom@lcp.livingston.com)
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 19:28:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, Jesse Shrieve wrote:

> Your previous suggestions seem to have worked. The modem now answers and
> accepts connections. Thanks a bunch. :) What you say above also seems true.

Great, glad its working for you.

> minutes before resetting. Could there be another reason for this, besides
> the fact that they're USR 33.6's?

There can be a few things that affect this. At one time USR told me not
to use any cables over 3 feet with a 16.8K or faster modem. The quality
of the cable, length, adapters, gender changers, interferance and so forth
can cause different things to happen to modems as the speed gets greater.

> Also, what should I set the session-timeout to disable it? I don't want a
> session to ever be disconnected at a set time limit. Setting it to 0 seems
> causes the client to be disconnected in about a minute with the termination
> cause being the session-limit.

Is this in Radius or on the PM? Radius can override a time limit on the
PM. Likewise, if I rember correctly, if you put a value of 0 (or no
value) in the radius user file that tells the PM to use its default
setting and not 0.

----
Thomas C Kinnen - <tom@lcp.livingston.com>
[Test Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>