Re: (PM) 3 easy steps to cratering your PM3 with b17 (fwd)

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:02:28 -0500

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 06:50:05PM -0700, MegaZone wrote:
> Once upon a time Chris J. Magnuson shaped the electrons to say...
> >Then we tried the upgrade on another PM3. Oh shit! There is an RMA for it
> >now. Never had *this* happen before with a beta. Before ComOS was loaded
> >in completely it hanged for no apparent reason.
> >
> >I tried doing a netboot and using the serial port to upload a new ComOS
> >with the brand spankin new Troubleshooting Guide instructions, but it gags
> >on tftp after about 42% or so, no matter which host platform/server
>
> Sounds like it could be a bad FLASH - in which case it doesn't matter what
> the firmware does. Bad FLASH means dead unit. I'd start suspecting that
> when a netboot fails repeatedly at the same point. But I'd ALSO suspect a
> bad netboot image. I'd try it by re-FTPing the image from the server,
> making damn sure it is in binary mode. And also making sure the downloaded
> file is the same size as the one on the server.

I've had a PM3 die due to bad flash. Its not impossible at all.

I don't bother with PMCONSOLE any longer; I have always used tftp from the
command line. Its more reliable and I've never had it fail (other than
the legitimately dead flash, which you can't fix).

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV