Re: (PM) SLC Series-5 -> PM2E (fwd)

Kyle Platts (kwplat1@uswest.com)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:48:13 -0500

Don Lashier wrote:

> It is DMS Urbans in this case. I don't know technically what they
> do to "squeeze" connections, but the net result is that connect speeds
> are limited to around 21.6k or 24k at the most. We have customers on
> some Urbans with no problems, but one USW Urban here has this limitation.
> The local USW guys tell me it's because they're routing more that 24
> connections per T1 because of fast growth in the area. To me, this is
> "squeezing" bandwidth. Don't mean to get picky over terminology here,
> but the end result is that there is reduced bandwidth available per
> connection.

Again, the connections are not squeezed. There are a finite number of
channels available, once those channels are used up, you cannot pull
dial tone from the DLC. If you are having trouble with the connections,
most likely the modem does not like the hot signal. I have found that
modems like to have some cable on them, in fact, that is how they are
designed.

I am certain you would agree that not all modems are created equal, and
with like any engineering feat, there are tradeoffs. Most modem
manufacturers go for the "average" loop. Then there's the Courier
V.Everything that will run on 2 tin cans and string!!

--
Kyle Platts
Network Engineer