Re: (PM) Line1 to Line1 (or maybe just a dumb question)

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> We are planning on setting up a system using 2 pm-3's tied together with T1
> between the two line1 ports of the unit. The question came up of who would
> provide the clocking for the T1 line. I have heard two different opinions
> on the subject - one being that it won't work as there will be no clock and
> the other that the telco providing the T1 provides the clock for both ends
> of the line. Anyone care to enlighten me on this one?

The answer is:

Yes.

Depending on the telco, and the length of the line, they may provide clocking.
If so, it will work fine. If not you'll need another source of network clock.
If the T-1 between the two units is a frame-relay circiut you're OK. If a
point-to-point you may or may not be, depending on how telco provisions it.
It depends. If your telco doesn't provide clock, one solution would be to
put two CSU/DSU's back-to-back at one end of the circuit, set one of them to
supply clock. You'll need a v.35 null-modem cable between the two CSU/DSUs.

Another possibility, is that if either of the PM3s is connected to a telco
circuit (PRI, CT1, FR, etc.) on line0 and the two are connected together on
line1, then the PM3 may use the clocking on the line0 side for the whole
box. Check with Livingscent to be sure on this.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net 805-884-6323 --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.