Re: (PM) CT-1 Down,,,

Mark Peugeot (mark@ptw.com)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:13:55 -0700 (PDT)

Telco Secrets.

1. Always bribe your telco installers, they will almost always
refuse but it gets you a good reputation as a decent human being. Nothing
makes them happier than the offer of a soda or beer.

2. Watch the phone numbers and listen to the names of the people the
telco installers talk to. These are the guys in the CO, they actually can
make or break your circuits. Now that you have a name and phone number feel
free to social engineer your way around the system. This is far more
effective than calling a trouble ticket in and waiting for a result.

3. Always call in a trouble ticket, they have to account for the
work they do somehow. If you can "talk" the talk and you have your shit
together they won't get mad (or nearly as mad) when you contact them
directly.

4. Remember these guys are not the enemy, the system is... so don't
piss off your local CO people at all costs. They can't get install fee's
waived and they make poor scapegoats. Always go for a low level sales exec
or order processor. Your local CO guys can do all types of things even if
they are not tarriffed, but they want to have to do them and you have to
allow them plausable deniablity.

5. Learn as much as you can about the local bell's infrastucture,
from switch type and deployment to the names of people in the CO. Most
importantly make friends, yelling and screaming will get you nowhere
usually. The old saying of "Its not what you know, but who you know" applies
in full force.

Mark Peugeot,
Network One