Re: (PM) possible problem with netconns?

Robert Boyle (robert@garden.net)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:36:17 -0400

At 03:28 AM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have observed a problem with a PM-3 Com/OS 3.7.2c3. Although not being
>able to reproduce this bug myself just now I think it's a possible
>concern. A coworker of mine has confirmed this as well with 3.7.2c2.

>Basically, while in contact with lucent concerning a bad Portmaster
>that has reported many violations and alarms, I encountered the problem
>that some network connections were showing ESTABLISHED while they really
>weren't, this caused the PM not to accept any new connections after 1
>connection. Not sure what's up with the ESTABLISHED connections that
>weren't really true, but the other was fine all one needs to do is use the
>documented command to increase netconnections. I then proceeded to do
>this, although something I did did not allow me to reach more connections
>to the administrative port. So I decided to reset these bogus connections
>with the documented command "reset n{handle}". Let me paste some text
>that I saved at the time this happened.

There is a limit of four telnet connections and whatever limit you have set
on PMConsole connections. This is normal behavior for ComOS. Livingston
_should_ add an idle timer option for the telnet netconns. If the
connection is really no longer there, then it should drop. Most other TCP
client and server programs can do this without a problem.

Robert Boyle Server Co-location,
Garden Networks Internet Access,
50 Diller Ave Development & Consulting
Newton, NJ 07860 (973)300-9211 Ext.103
8AM-8PM Mon-Fri EST http://www.garden.net
Lucent RABU & Software.Com Post.Office VAR