Re: (PM) OR-HS with Multiple Class C Addresses

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:07:09 -0400 (EDT)

Jon Lewis <jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Dennis D. Baker, Jr wrote:
>
> > i.e. Assign one class C to the ethernet port on the ORHS and then use a
> > static route to bind the second class C to the ethernet port.
>
> No...but Cisco's will let you do it :)

Bzzzt.... Sorry, but thanks for playing!

You can most certainly route a second /24 through the ethernet port of
an OR. We're doing this with a customer who had their own /24 space
prior to signing up with us, and have needed some our address space for
their frame relay WAN connecting 16 or so offices. We've now got 2 /24's
and a /25 routing through their OR.

What you currently _cannot_ do is assign multiple IP addresses to the
interface, so you may have to have the ether0's subnet mask set a little
higher than the rest of the network - a hack solution, IMO, but one that
works, and one that will go away in a near-future release of ComOS.