Re: (PM) PMVision Suite of Tools

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:01:04 -0400

Joe Hartley writes:

> BTW, note attributions: Roy's the one with strong feelings on the GUI's,
> I'm the one complaining about a move to a Java VM making Lucent customers
> dependent on having a VM ported to their platform :)

And I'm the one with strong feelings both about GUIs and becoming
dependent on modifying my runtime environments - plural, because what
I run on my desktop is not what I run on my servers is not what I run
on the laptop that goes with me to field sites. None of those
environments is what I occasionally borrow use of from the people who
host my remote POPs.

If I can turn up a new box or upgrade one with nothing more than a
terminal emulator on the console port and an upgrade file sitting on a
tftp server, and if I can manage my boxes via telnet and by dialing
into them, then I'll be happy.

I can almost do that now, but not quite - or at least I don't have
confidence I can. Somebody asked why the current tftp doesn't inspire
that confidence. It's because of dire warnings about making sure to
use release <whatever> of pminstall, messages like "rearranging files"
from pminstall, and that "tftp put comos server filename" uploads 810K
when the upgrade file is more than 1M.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)