Re: (PM) PMVision Suite of Tools

Chad Scott (chads@livingston.com)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:58:03 -0700 (PDT)

On 8 Jun 1998, Stephen Zedalis wrote:

> I'm not the one who stated Java was less buggy, Lucent did. Now let them
> explain it is less buggy than C and that is why they are shifting to it.

Java prevents memory problems and things of that nature. You can still
have bugs because programmers are human.

> Alpha PC164 - 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM running Linux. Nothing else running...

I've noticed the Linux JRE is slow. Have you compiled it with debugging
symbols and all that jazz? Compile it with -O2 and take out the debugging
symbols. That should speed it up some.

> Also tried on Windows NT Workstation Pentium 233 MMX with 64 MB RAM.
> Nothing else running...
>
> I guess I need MORE horsepower than that?

I've got a P150, as I mentioned before, and it's really pretty fast. It's
not as quick as PMconsole for Windows, but the interface makes up for
that, in my opinion. I've also got a PII266 and Amber *screams*, so I
don't know what you consider to be fast or slow.

> I do agree however that speed is subjective, when comparing a C program
> to Java, it is slower -> REALLY! Even Sun admits that, then tries to
> pooh-pooh it by saying new JIT techology "may" make the Java app faster.

Well, of course it is. Assembly is also faster than C but I'm not about
to write anything in that... *yick*

Chad Scott
Beta Engineer
Lucent Technologies