Re: (PM) PMVision Suite of Tools

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:32:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

>Processors are quite a bit faster these days.

So? Thats an excuse I would expect from a Bill Gates, not you.

>Java is new, java programmers are new, new concepts, Im sure when C was
>new, C programs had lots more bugs than Cobol programs.

I'm not the one who stated Java was less buggy, Lucent did. Now let them
explain it is less buggy than C and that is why they are shifting to it.

Not to mention, they never asked US what type administrative apps we
wanted.

>> dealing with pointers from user code, although I've seen tons of pointer
>> errors from poorly written interpreters themselves). Amber is nice, but
>> if it is one thing, that one thing is SLOOOWWW.
>
>What machine are you running Amber on?

Alpha PC164 - 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM running Linux. Nothing else running...

Also tried on Windows NT Workstation Pentium 233 MMX with 64 MB RAM.
Nothing else running...

I guess I need MORE horsepower than that?

I do agree however that speed is subjective, when comparing a C program
to Java, it is slower -> REALLY! Even Sun admits that, then tries to
pooh-pooh it by saying new JIT techology "may" make the Java app faster.