Re: (PM) Dial On Demand, bi-directionally, 2 routes

Al Hopper (al@logical-approach.com)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:30:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Jason Marshall wrote:

> > correctly the PM with the location set keeps a route entry in the table so
> > that traffic destioned for that location has somewhere to go if a packet
> > comes in for that location and they are not dialed in. The problem is that
> > since that is an on demand location it keeps the route actitive and it does
> > know when to take it down as it is listed as the point for data to leave
> > your network to get to the OR.
>
> Ok, this makes perfect sense, but is there a way to make the
> dial-on-demand route more expensive than the route to the portmaster that
> has the customer connected to it?

I have the same problem - a location record (outbound) on a PM-2 (ISDN)
with the incoming data handled by a PM-3 with an inbound PRI only. The
only workaround is to set the location Type: Manual. The other problem
is that my core/backbone router will see these 2 routes as equal
priority and load share between them. This means that the user will
loose every other packet unless there is an active session outbound from
the PM-2 and one active inbound via the PM-3 (at the same time).

The solution is - as pointed out above - to be able to set preferences
on each route; but I don't think thats possible with the PortMaster
(products) currently?

It looks like we need another command interface to the OSPF layer to set
preferences on a per route basis?

Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al@logical-approach.com
(972)-379-2133 or (972)-849-5765. Fax 972-379-2134
If you aren't confused, then you simply don't know what's going on!