Re: (PM) LT Winmodems

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:18:40 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, John Nowack wrote:
> >1) get the correct drivers... had someone recommend some Hp drivers to
> >someone with a sony modem, very very bad move. Get the drivers from the
> >OEM manufacturer
> Don't know where the drivers were downloaded from. I just told the support
> tech to "try downloading new drivers"

As you note in 4 it's a Compuck .... you should follow the tech/support
link to get the correct driver for the modem... note: I've done one for a
Laptop and while it does connect at K56Flex it is VERY unstable depending
on phone line... I had them use the comma trick to establish v.34
31.2Kbps connects usually after that... I'm not gonna beat my head on
getting K56Flex to work for my customers, but I _will_ do so when v.90 is
robust and something after ComOS 3.8b15 is out...

> >3) try hyperterminal or similar, if this connects then it's not the modem
> >but a DUN or TCP/IP issue...
> Nope. Hyperterminal won't connect either.

Hmm, tried commas to bypass v.8 tone and see if v.34 works? Does the
computer even see the modem? meaning can you get the info of the modem
after going to control panel | modem | diagnostics | more info?

> >4) John, to save your record you may want to just put in a $40 modem that
> >you know works ;) caveat; won't work if someone has a messed up
> >proprietary system...
> It's come form of Compaq Presario, if that answers your question :). I've
> not had good luck putting standard modems into those, although it has always
> worked. But boy, do they use some wierd designs.

Yeppers just saw their 'cheap' model, very small case design and very
funky shaped... *sigh* you can't put anything on the case now! guess
that's to prevent coke spilling on the case ;)

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood