Re: (PM) LT Winmodems

NOT a LE employee (livingston@iav.com)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:56:31 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, John Nowack wrote:

> >But has anyone found a way to get users with an LT Winmodem to connect?
> At the risk of being the boy who cried wolf, I have had a computer with
> one of these in the office all day today (different that the one before
> (thanks, James)). Never got it to connect. Modem dials, tones start,
> it goes quiet, tones restart, goes quiet, still says dialing, 60 seconds
> later gets the infamous "The computer you are dialing is not answering"
> message. On the PM3 side I show the modem connected, port IDLE, then
> the modem goes into ERROR then TESTING. The only message on the console
> is Sx: Session Terminated - Lost Carrier.
>
> Downloaded new drivers and re-installed them, no difference. If I can't
> solve this, it will be the first time in three years that I have had to
> give a customer back a computer and tell them we can't get them connected
> and have to send them elsewhere. Someone -- please don't let my perfect
> record go down the drain :).

1) get the correct drivers... had someone recommend some Hp drivers to
someone with a sony modem, very very bad move. Get the drivers from the
OEM manufacturer

2) try commas after the phone number, if this allows it to connect at v.34
then most likely the firmware for the modem still isn't robust enough.

3) try hyperterminal or similar, if this connects then it's not the modem
but a DUN or TCP/IP issue...

4) John, to save your record you may want to just put in a $40 modem that
you know works ;) caveat; won't work if someone has a messed up
proprietary system...

8)

--
Aloha from Paradise,