Re: (PM) PM Console & IRX

Andrew Doolittle (andy@livingston.com)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:09:28 -0700

You're probably all expecting me to say this, but please use Amber not
pmconsole. The pmconsole line has been discontinued. There is very little
that pmconsole would do that Amber won't - particularly on pre-3.8 ComOS
versions Amber won't edit SNMP, static routes or the host table. There's a
lot of stuff Amber won't do on 3.7 that it will on 3.8, but pmconsole won't
do that stuff on 3.7 or ever.

At 11:02 PM 6/2/98 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:

>> On Sat, 30 May 1998, Jack Cole wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I have an IRX-111 and have tried to use PM Console with it, but
with no
>> > luck. Is this not supposed to work?
>>
>> PMCONSOLE works on ALL Livingston products. If it does NOT work, then
>> something is wrong. How do you mean, does not work? Does it not log into
>> the irx? Can you telnet to the irx from the same computer you are trying
>> to run pmconsole on?
>
>I've seen this too, but I can be more specific :-)
>
>pmconsole 3.5.3;
>BSD/OS 2.1 and BSD/OS 3.1 (several different machines, including one
>freshly installed from the CD without any changes);
>
>I can use this combination on all of the Livingston products that
>we have (including OR-U, OR-HS, PM2E, PM3). When I try it on an
>IRX, I get:
>
> Session established with xxx, ComOS 3.7.2RSegmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>Have tried it with IRXs running several different ComOS versions from
>3.2.1R and up.
>
>I can use prior versions of pmconsole on the same BSD/OS machines
>and the same IRXs with no problem.
>
>I opened up a ticket on this back in January, but did not get a solution.
>(I offered to make the core dump available.)
>
>This is more an annoyance than anything else, it just means that I
>have to find (e.g.) a Win95 machine when I want to upgrade the IRXs.
>I didn't push it, when I reported it I was mostly hoping that support
>might have heard of the problem.
>
>-mm-
>-
>To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
>'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

andy
++++

NOC Advocate andy@livingston.com
Lucent Technologies, Remote Access Business Unit (510)737-2151
4464 Willow Road http://www.livingston.com
Pleasanton, CA 94588 http://www.lucent.com