Re: (PM) Whining on this list.

Chad Scott (chads@livingston.com)
Tue, 26 May 1998 16:37:00 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 May 1998, Dave Cates wrote:

> Well let's see how many idiot's I can piss off. You read the subject of
> this message and chose to open it. So if you are stupid enough to complain
> about it... THE SHOE FITS(you are an IDIOT just in case you couldn't figure
> it out). I am tired of reading message after message that just whine,
> bitch, and moan about a post that the subject of the message was exactly
> what the message was about. If you don't want to read a forsale ad DON'T
> OPEN IT. If it is a OT and don't you want to read it DON'T OPEN IT. Some
> people in this group might want to read it. It is just like TV. If you
> don't like what is on CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

This really doesn't belong on the list. As much as I appreciate open
discussion, there really was no need to send this. We worked out the
"for-sale" issue already and I don't think anyone involved reacted in a
negative manner, so I'm puzzled as to why you are.

As for your "CHANGE THE CHANNEL" comment, it would be inappropriate to get
on an AA mailing list and try to sell bulk orders of Jack Daniels, even if
your subject line said "I'm selling Jack Daniels". Along those same
lines, it is inappropriate to sell competing equipment in a forum that is
obviously dedicated to a particular product. Rather than say "don't sell
competing equipment," we've decided to say "don't sell anything, period."
I feel this is a fair request of the members of the list.

> And while I'm at, the whiners are usually the ones that have the smart ass
> comments for someone new to PM's trying to get something working. Not all
> of us have PHD's in PM's, so instead of telling us to RTFM and going on and
> on whining about it, beating around the bush, and getting pissed, just
> answer the FU**ing question or ignore it. It is far more efficient and
> easier on us pee ons.

This isn't a support channel. You get toll-free telephone support with
every PortMaster purchase, so use it. Noone here is under any obligation
to help anyone. They choose to do so in their free time as a courtesy to
others. Also as a courtesy, we've asked that noone try to sell anything
to the list members. This isn't unreasonable in any way at all.

To turn your own argument against you, I'd suggest you unsubscribe from
the list if you can't handle the "beating around the bush, and getting
pissed, just answer the FU**ing question or ignore it" method you feel we
use... Turn the channel.

Chad Scott
Beta Engineer
Lucent Technologies