Re: (PM) STAC Cards

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 17:40:22 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 May 1998, Larry A. Weidig wrote:

> I have a question based on a mail that I just recently saw. I was
> under the impression that the STAC compression cards were only useful for
> ISDN connections and not standard modems, is that true? If so, would the
> previous mail even matter as he was running channelized T1's with the STAC
> cards. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

STAC has absolutely no relation or knowledge of what the underlying link
is. You can run it over POTS, ISDN, CT1, or a tin-can and a string
(although I'm not aware of any IETF standards covering that last one..)
;-)

The client software just has to support it. Windows 95/NT supports it
with the latest updates installed. If you dial in with another router
such as an OR using the async interface on it, you can do STAC just fine.
I'm not sure about MacOS. Linux should have some patches that do it, or
if not it will soon.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>