Re: (PM) Problem location and dial out on demand

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 17:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 May 1998, Stephen Zedalis wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 1998, NOT a LE employee wrote:
> >excuse I haven't slept so I didn't check archives but there are some
> >routes that are tossed in from the location table that you can't del
> >route...
>
> Yeah, but the location has no business adding stuff to the location table
> unless the location is dialed. And the routes should expire and go away
> after the connection is lost. Otherwise, you have what the original
> poster had, a erroneous route that he couldn't get rid of, other than by
> rebooting.
>
> I still say its a flaw.

I assume you meant to the routing table, not location table. Anyhow there
is absolutely *NO* other time that we create a route like this *unless*
the connection is set to On-Demand. Think about it...if there is no route
for it in the routing table and you want to do On-Demand how the heck are
you going to tell the PM which location to dial when it gets an IP packet
it wants to forward? There MUST be a routing entry.

If the connection was set to manual, then that route will not exist in the
routing table. There is no flaw.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>